Saturday, August 9, 2008

Back from Cincinnati


Pictured are Gold Star Coney Islands. They are very small hot dogs topped with chili and mounds of cheddar cheese - plus I get onions. So yummy. Cincinnati chili is different. It has cinnamon - definitely more pronounced in Gold Star than Sky Line. I bought a few cans of each and wish I'd gotten more. I also brought back a recipe for the Sky Line version, compliments of my cousin. I made it early this week and we had a blind taste test. Mine was too thick and I couldn't get my ground beek as crumbly as they do, but I was pretty happy with it. I think next time I'll use less chili powder and more cinnamon. My uncle was impressed and told me I should open my own chili parlour. I don't see that happening, but I think my chili will find a regular rotation in our meal times. You can serve it on hot dogs, or on spaghetti, with crumbled oyster crackers to soak up the thinner sauce.

We brought my mother 5 pounds of Opera Creams between my uncle and me. I ate the better part of one pound and gave the rest away because the sugar was wreaking havoc on me - I don't do well with sugar (a little hypoglycemic).

I've had a busy week since getting back Sunday. School starts next week so we should settle into a more regular routine. I think I've finished all my travels until we do the college tour thing over fall break. I need to get busy planning that. I think we'll drive up to North Carolina and Virginia and try to hit as many colleges as we can squeeze in between here and there.

For today, I think I'm headed to Archiver's - they have a special Make & Take weekend. I always love those. I should take my many vacation pictures and try to do a little scrapbooking while I'm there!

No comments: