Saturday, July 12, 2008

One More Trip

After searching and searching for a reasonable airfare, I finally found a ticket to Cincinnati to see my Uncle Lee. He lives across the river in Covington, Kentucky, where he and my mother grew up. I haven't been there in 16 years, and then, just to see my beloved Aunt Babe shortly before she died. We used to go almost every summer.

This time, I hope to really explore the city. And of course, to eat chili three way - with beans, cheese and onions (I think). They serve their chili on spaghetti noodles. Steak & Shake has the closest thing you'll find around here. Another special thing is Opera Creams. They are kind of like a vanilla butter cream, covered in dark chocolate (best version and my mother's favorite), but not the same. It is my mother's very favorite thing. We buy them by mail-order for Christmas and Birthday and Mother's Day. Well, maybe not Mother's Day because you can only order them when the weather's cool. So when I bring back 10 pounds of Opera Creams in early August, it'll be a special treat!

Cincinnati's also home to the Reds, one of the oldest Major League Baseball teams. Unfortunately, they don't have any home games during my visit. Pete Rose is Cincinnati's equivalent of our Elvis. Seriously, they are fanatics about the guy. Even with his being banned from baseball from the betting on baseball scandal, way back when. He's from Cincinnati and played there his whole career - a very rare thing. He also holds the all-time record for most career hits. There's still a good bit of controversy about whether he should be allowed to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. I figure if they let any of these steriod-fueled stars in, good old Charlie Hustle ought to get in, too. I'm just sayin'.

I'll have a full report, complete with pictures, when I get back. That's a couple of weeks away, and in the meantime, we have lots to do, including celebrate lots of July birthdays. Oh, and it just so happens that I'll celebrate my birthday while I'm there - a good thing. Can't wait!

No comments: